Last updated 7/01/2011
home page
map
Author-County Index

London

Jane Austen (1775-1817) 10, Henrietta Street, visiting brother, Henry, she stayed with her brother in a house on this site between 1813 and 1815. (In fact it was in her brother's flat above the bank he owned). She described the building as 'all dirt and confusion, but in a very interesting way'. blue plaque

Francis Bacon (1561-1626) b. London (Strand) Died in the Earl of Arundel's house, Highgate. House replaced by the Old Hall, 17 South Grove. Lauderdale House was known by Bacon. He dined there, invited by Lord Lauderdale.

Thomas Lovell Beddoes (1803-1849) Edu Charterhouse and matriculated in Pembroke College, Oxford, in 1820, returned to London, 1824

Adrian Bell (1901-1980) London c1903-1920 Prince of Wales Road, Battersea, then to Streatham in 1908. Left for Suffolk in 1920.

Hilaire Belloc (1870-1953) In December 1871 the family moved to Cheyne Walk, Westminster in London, where young Belloc attended Mrs Case's Preparatory School in Hampstead.

Arnold Bennett (1867-1931) lived in London, 1923-30 75 Cadogan Square, Chelsea, 1930-31 Marylebone Road, Marylebone. Visited the Langham Hotel, the Savoy and the Albany!

E.F.Benson (1867-1940) lived at 395 Oxford Street, then to 102 Oakley Street, thence to 25 Brompton Square,(1920-1940) (where English Heritage have placed a 'Blue Plaque'), died February 29th 1940 of throat cancer in University College Hospital, London.

John Betjeman (1906-1984) was born on August 28th, 1906, near Highgate, much of childhood at 11 West Hill, preparatory school Byron House in North Grove, then to Highgate Junior School (T.S. Eliot taught for 2 terms there and Gerard Manley Hopkins was there 50 years earlier.) Lived with his parents at Highbury New Park. The church of St Bartholomew-the-Great in the City has a chair presented to the church by the Betjeman Society, with a suitable inscription. The Holy Trinity Church is commemorated in his poem, Holy Trinity, Sloane Sreet MCMV11, also worshipped at St George's, Hanover Square and the little Grosvenor Chapel in South Audley Street.
A statue of Betjeman gazing upwards, by Martin Jennings, can be seen at St Pancras Station. (renamed International Terminal)
Holy Trinity Church, Sloane Street

Thomas Bewick (1753-1828) 1st Oct 1976 arrived in London and returned to Newcastle on 22nd June 1977.


William Blake(1757-1827) b. Nov. 28, 1757, in Marshall Street, now covered by modern office block, called William Blake House. Moved to 28 Broad Street. Set up a printer shop at 29 Poland Street with his brother. Blake was first educated at home, chiefly by his mother. In 1767 he was sent to Henry Pars' drawing school. In 1774 Blake opened with his wife and younger brother Robert a print shop at 27 Broad Street,Golden Square, but the venture failed after the death of Robert in 1787.
In 1779, he became a student at the Royal Academy, where he rebelled against what he regarded as the unfinished style of fashionable painters such as Rubens. He preferred the Classical exactness of Michelangelo and Raphael.
Blake's London This map came from the Sunday Times walks. For details www.timesonline.co.uk/timeswalks.
No. 6 is Dr Johnson's house and No. 8 is Sir John Soane's Museum. No. 2 is Lloyd's and No. 4 the Guildhall.
The Blakes moved south of the Thames to 13 Hercules Building, Lambeth in 1790. and thence to Feltham,West Sussex. Blake returned to London in 1802 and began to write and illustrate Jerusalem (1804-1820). He died while still hard at work. His last work was said to be a sketch of his wife. He died on August 12th 1827, at No 3 Fountain Court (which still exists, in a small alley running from the Strand to the river) and was buried, and his wife, in unmarked graves at Bunhill Fields, an unconsecrated cemetery in Shoreditch and Finsbury, on the west side of City Road just down from New Road. It contains the graves of many famous nonconformists, including John Bunyan and Daniel Defoe. In recent years, a proper memorial has been erected for him and his wife.

George Borrow (1803-81) 1860-1874 London; (His London address, 22 Hereford Square, no longer exists). Mentions Cheapside in Lavengro. Buried in Brompton Cemetery, Kensington with his wife

Anne Bronte (1820-49) commemorated in Westminster Abbey and Haworth. On door of 32 Cornhill, now the Cornhill Insurance Company, then the publishers Smith, Eder & Co., the bottom right-hand panel is carved commemorating first visit of Charlotte and Anne to their pulisher in 1848, meeting Thackeray (meeting however took place in 1849). (BANK)

Charlotte Bronte (1816-55) commemorated in Westminster Abbey

Emily Bronte (1818-48) commemorated in Westminster Abbey

Robert Browning (1812-89) b in Southampton Street, Camberwell, commemorated by a plaque at 179 Southampton Way, adjacent to the house where he lived with his parents. Baptized at Congregational Chapel at Walworth and commemorated there by Browning Road. m in London (Marylebone Parish Church, St Mary's) 1846, where there is a Browning Memorial Chapel, Paddington: 19 Warwick Cres. 1861-87, near Little Venice, where there is an island known as Browning's Island, and thence Kensington, 29 de Vere Gardens 1887-1889. Died in Venice. b. in Westminster Abbey

John Buchan (1875-1940) lived in London, Marylebone: 76 Portland Place 1913-19,where he wrote The Thirty-nine Steps, in Elsfield, a small village near Oxford. 1919-35. b in Elsfield.

Fanny Burney later Madame D'Arblay (1752-1840) Apart from the window in Westminster Abbey there is a brown plaque on a house in Bolton Street, W1 (no 11) where Fanny Burney lived in the last years of her life. Her father, Dr Charles Burney, is buried in the small burial ground of the Chelsea Hospital.(CHELSEA)

Randolph Caldecott (1846-1886) moved to London in 1872 at the age of 26.
Within two years he had become a successful magazine illustrator working on commission. His work included individual sketches, illustrations of other articles and a series of illustrations of a holiday which he and Henry Blackburn took in the Hartz Mountains in Germany. The latter became the first of a number of such series. He remained in London for seven years, spending most of them in lodgings at 46 Great Russell Street just opposite the British Museum, in the heart of Bloomsbury. While there he met and made friends (as he did very readily) with many artistic and literary people, among them Rosetti, George du Maurier (who was a fellow contributor to Punch), Millais and Leighton. His friendship with Frederick (later Lord) Leighton led to a commission to design peacock capitals for four columns in the Arab room at Leighton's rather exotic home, Leighton House in Kensington. (Walter Crane designed a tiled peacock frieze for the same room).
The British Museum and the Victoria & Albert Museum each have around 200 of his works, and there is a Memorial to him in the Crypt of St. Paul's Cathedral.
For more info

Geoffrey Chaucer (1345?-1400) b London City, Upper Thames Street, 2 Aldgate High Street, 1374 in the rooms over Aldgate, possily 1374-1386. Plaque. b in Westminster Abbey in a canopied tomb. There is a modern stained-glass window in the crypt of the Guildhall of Chaucer.

G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936) b London, Kensington: 32 Sheffield Terrace, baptised at St George's, edu London, St Paul's School, lived in London: 11 Warwick Gardens

John Clare (1793-1864) 1822 Second visit to London: meets Lamb, Hazlitt, Thomas Hood. 1824 Third visit to London: meets Coleridge, Thomas de Quincey. Begins his Journal and Autobiography. 1828 Fourth visit to London: bronze bust of him cast by Henry Behnes Burlowe. Blade, George Dixon and Edward Storey. 1989 Clare honoured with a plaque in 'Poet's Corner', Westminster Abbey.

William Cobbett (1763-1835) lived in Fleet Street, started work in Gray's Inn, Cobbett set up shop as a bookseller at 11,Pall Mall, in March 1801. In the following year he began to publish, from 4, Fleet Street, the Political Register, which became the most influential publication devoted to parliamentary reform in the history of English letters. He later moved his premises to 183, Fleet Street while living at Catherine Street, where he was visited by William Hone. In 1829 Cobbett is listed as living at Gate Street, Lincoln's Inn (next door to Holborn tube station). From 1828-30 he leased the 80 acre Home Farm on the Barn Elms estate, from where he continued to edit his Political Register. He also wrote Advice to Young Men (1830) there.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834)
Christ's Hospital school, London, 1799 Returned to London. 1798-1801 lived at 10 King Street. In the spring of 1816 Coleridge found permanent harbour in the household of Dr James Gillman, a young surgeon living at Highgate, London. He died of heart failure at 3, The Grove, Highgate. He was reburied at St Michael's which stands in The Grove.
From the Times 5.3.10: Samuel Taylor Coleridge lived and died in the attic (at 3 The Grove).
William Wordsworth , Charles Lamb, William Hazlitt and Robert Southey all visited Coleridge here.
In 1931 J.B. Priestley moved to the house and wrote novels in the drawing room.
3

3 The Grove, Highgate
.
Wilkie Collins (1824-1889) b Jan 8 North End, Hampstead, then Pond Street, and Hampstead Square in 1830's, 1840s 38 Blandford Square, 1850-9 Hanover Terrace, 2 Harley Place, 12 Harley Street, 1864-7 8 Melcombe Place, 1887-8 65 (previously 90) Gloucester Place (which has a plaque)Portman Square, 1889 82 Wimpole Street, student at Lincoln's Inn. Died Sept. 23, buried in Kensal Green cemetery in 1889. grave number 31754, square 141 row 1, close to the central Chapel. Lived most of his life in Marylebone area. In the new Waitrose, in the High Street, has tiled illustrations of the area with "local residents from the past", including Wilkie Collins, Browning and Dickens.

Walter de la Mare (1873-1956) was born on 25 April 1873 in Charlton, Woolwich,(83 Maryon Road, demolished in 1960s) now in south-east London. He was educated at St Paul's Choir School, where he was a chorister. Between 1899-1906 he lived with his family in 195 Mackenzie Road, Beckenham, south London, 1908-12, Worbeck Road, 1912-25, 14 Thornsett Road in Anerley, near by. Died on 22 June 1956 at South End House, Montpelier Row, Twickenham, where he had lived for most of the preceding 16 years. There is an English Heritage blue plaque to him by the entrance gate to the house. After his death in 1956, he was buried in the crypt of St Paul's where there is a plaque to him, which quotes the last stanza of his poem 'Vain Questioning'. The National Portrait Gallery has his death mask and a portrait of him by William Rothenstein. The most important collection of his MSS, letters and papers is at the Bodleian Library in Oxford. There are several other collections of his works elsewhere in the UK and also in the USA.

Warwick Deeping (1877-1950) born 28th May, 1877, at Prospect House, High Street in Southend, family moved to 19 Royal Terrace. Educated at the Merchant Taylors' School in London. Finished his medical training at Middlesex Hospital. Memorial to Warwick Deeping at St John's Church in the churchyard where his sister and sibling stillborn twins are buried, though their graves cannot be found.

Charles Dickens (1812-1870) Deposited by parents at Cross Keys inn, Wood Street when they left Chatham for Dover. 16 Bayham St. 1822-24 worked sticking labels on cans at 80 Hungerford Stairs, (replaced by Charing Cross Station) moving with the business to Chandos Place, Covent Garden (marked with a plaque). (Literary London - Andrew Davies) 1823-4, thence to Little College Street and then to Somers Town. Ye Olde Cocke Tavern at 22 Fleet Street is said to have been his favourite tavern. Between 1830 and 1833 lodged at 15 (now 25) Fitzroy Street. Dec 1834 took chambers at 13 Furnival's Inn (Prudential - memorial bust just inside the gateway, on the left) May to Sept 1835 11 Selwood Terrace lodgings (so as to be near fiancee), Feb 1836 moved to 15 Furnival's Inn (larger and preparatory to marriage) m Catherine Hogarth 1836 Chelsea: St Luke's, Sydney Street. 1837-9 48 Doughty Street and whilst there short stays in places like Twickenham on holiday (ie not main residences) Dec 1839 to 1 Devonshire Terrace (top of Marylebone Road: site marked by bas- relief and plaque) which was main home until Nov 1851, but much travelling around including USA and Italy during this period Nov 1851 to Tavistock House, Tavistock Square (site now BMA House) until 1860. All properties before Gads Hill Place were leased. 1856 bought Gads Hill Place, finally moving there as permanent home in 1860. From 1860 numerous rented places to stay in London as he commuted from Gads Hill pretty frequently. d in Gad's Hill, b in Westminster Abbey The Dickens Fellowship Founded 1902, hq. The Dickens House, 48 Doughty Street, London, WC1N 2LX Tel: 020 7405 2127, fax 020 7831 5175 which is also the Dickens Museum. Pickwick lodged at the George and Vulture. (BANK) (BLOOMSBURY)(COVENT GARDEN)

John Drinkwater (1882-1937) b London: Leytonstone

George Eliot (1819-1880) Pimlico 1853-4, Wimbledon 1859-60, 1860-63 lived with George Henry Lewes at 16 Blandford Square, on the north side of Marylebone Road. 1863 Eliot and Lewes buy the Priory, 21 North Bank, Regent's Park., 1880 4 Cheyne Walk, Chelsea, their last home.(CHELSEA)

T.S. Eliot lived at 33 Courtfield Road, SW7, Kensington in 1933 for about 6 months. There is no plaque, and no mention of it on the web, as far as can be seen. Buried in Highgate Cemetery.

Ford Madox Ford (1873-1939) Kensington, Holland Park Ave 1908-10

C.S. Forester (Cecil Scott Forester) (1899-1966) born in Cairo, Edu Dulwich College, studied medicine at Guys, settled in U.S.A. after end of World War II

Elizabeth Gaskell (1810-1865) b 19th February, Elizabeth Stevenson, Chelsea, 93 Cheyne Walk (CHELSEA)

Wilfrid Gibson (1878-1962) Hampstead: Nassington Rd 1934-9

Robert van Ranke Graves (1895-1985) born at Wimbledon, in London, and educated at Charterhouse.

Graham Greene (1904-1991) spent six months from June to December 1921 at the home of psychiatrist Keneth Richmond at 15 Devonshire Terace, London. March 1926 to March 1931 141 Albert Palace Mansions, Battersea Park, after marriage rented flat in Heathcroft. May 1935 until the Second World War, 14 North Side, Clapham Common.

Ivor Gurney (1890-1937) College of Music 1911,gassed in the war and suffered mental breakdown. Waa transferred from an asyhlum in Floucester to the City of London Mental Hospital in Darford. He died of tuberculos at Dartford on 26 December 1937

Rider Haggard (1856-1925) Lincolns Inn, called to bar, lived London Hammersmith: Gunterstone Rd. 1855-1888.

Thomas Hardy (1840-1928) lived at 16 Westbourne Park Villas, Paddington, blue plaque, 1863 to 1867 was an intermittent home, and also briefly at no. 4 Celbridge Place (later Porchester Road) and in Newton Road. During this period he was employed in an architect's office at 8 Adelphi Terrace. Tooting, 78-81, Buried in London, Westminster Abbey, heart buried in Stinsford

G.A. Henty (1832-1902) b. near Cambridge, edu. London, Westminster School, Cambridge Uni. lived at 33 Lavender Gardens, at the top of Battersea Rise, d. Weymouth, buried in London, Brompton Cemetery, Kensington.
Empire and Commonwealth Musem, Bristol exhibit from time to time about Henty's work

Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844-1889) b. Stratford, E. London, eldest son of a large, artistic middle-class Anglican family. Educated Highgate School, London. Later became a Jesuit and trained for the priesthood, burning all his poetry first. Entered the Noviciate for 2 years at Manresa House, Roehampton (1868-70) and returned for a further year in 1874. In Oct 1881 completed 1 year tertianship at Roehampton. Memorials in Westminster Abbey and Haslemere

A.E.Housman (1859-1936), born in August, Lived in Highgate: Byron Cottage, 17 North Road 1886-1905, then moved to Pinner 1905-11

Richard Jefferies (1848-1887) Sydenham, 20 Sydenham Park Road (Shanklin Villa) has plaque. Lived in Surbiton 1877-82, 296 Ewell Road, Tolworth, the premises of Stack and Bonner, Estate Agents, (formerly 2 Woodside and opposite the police station). A splendid plaque unveiled May 2003. This is where Jefferies wrote his most successful run of books. Carved wood plaque in Surbiton Public Library. In 1884 he moved to Elthan and found lodgings for a short time at 43 High Street (now Allders store) and from 24th June, he rented 14 Victoria Road, now 59 Footscray Road. His third son, Richard Oliver Launcelot died on 16th March 1885 from meningitis, aged 1, and was buried at St John's Eltham on the left hand side of the path at the base of the spire. There is no headstone. Eltham
59 Footscray Road

Jerome K Jerome (1859-1927) circa 1862 to Poplar in the East End of London, Edu the Philological School in Lisson Grove. Corner of Chelsea Bridge Rd and Edbury Bridge Rd, Chelsea Gardens 1881-89 circa, Whitfield Street pre 1885. Lodged 13 Tavistock Place in 1889 with George Wingrave, George of Three Men in a Boat.

Samuel Johnson (1709-84) lived in Hampstead, worked at St John's Gate, Clerkenwell as a young man. 1738 lived at 6 Castle (now Eastcastle) Street with his wife, Terry. Lived Frognal City: 17 Gough St. 1749-59 Belongs to Johnson's House Trust. Holborn: Staple Inn 1759-60, Gough Square.,St Johnson's Ct 1765-76, D Bolt Court (demolished), buried in Westminster Abbey, statues in St Paul's cathedral and St Clement Danes in the Strand and Lichfield. Kenwood House is on Hampstead Heath. In its gardens is Dr Johnson's summerhouse, which originally stood in the garden of his friends', the Thrales, house at Streatham.

David Jones (1895-1974) Caldy Island, Northumberland. Pool of London. The Pool of London centrepiece of The Anathemata

Sheila Kaye-Smith (1887-1956) After marriage her husband, Sir Penrose Fry, got a living in Kensington.

Keats (1795-1821), born 31st October, 1795, at the Swan and Hoops Stable, where his father was the ostler, in Finsbury Pavement, on site of 85 Moorgate. He attended John Clarke's school in Edmonton, which was on the site of Enfield Town Station. In 1811, he became an apprentice to Thomas Hammond, a surgeon practising in Church Street, Edmonton. He began his medical studies at Guys in October, 1815. He lived with brothers in 76, Cheapside in the city 1816. 1817 to Hampstead: Well Walk, where his brother Tom died, and Keats Grove 1820. Commemorated in Hampstead Parish Church, St John's, and Westminster Abbey

Charles Lamb (1775-1834)Charles Lamb was born 10th February, 1775. 2, Crown Office Row, Inner Temple, the third of the three surviving of the seven children of John Lamb (c.1725–1799), waiter at the Inner Temple, and his wife, Elizabeth (d. 1796), daughter of Mary Field, housekeeper at Blakesware House in Hertfordshire. John and Charles, were both educated at Christ's Hospital, City of London, plaque (formerly on site of the school) on E.wall of St. Sepulchre's Church in Giltspur Street.1782 - 89; Clerk, South Sea House, Threadneedle Street, 1791 - 92; Clerk, East India House, After Salt's death in 1792 his parents were obliged to quit the Temple, and move with their two younger children to cramped and impoverished lodgings in 7 Little Queen Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields. Leadenhall Street, 1792 - 1825. Lives Temple, 1775 - 92 (plaque); near present Kingsway, Holborn, 1792 - 96; 45 Chapel Street, Pentonville, 1796 - 1800; Southampton Buildings, Chancery Lane, 1800 - 01; Mitre Court Buildings, Inner Temple, 1801 - 09; 4 Inner Temple Lane, 1809 - 17; (Hare Court in the Temple, the dark courtyard which Lamb overlooked, is still there; 20, Great Russell Street,Covent Garden, 1817 - 23; Colebrooke Cottage, (now 64 Duncan Terrace) Islington, 1823 - 27 (plaque); Charles and his sister Mary stayed in Gentleman's Row, Enfield during the summers of 1825 and 1827. 'The Poplars', Chase Side, Enfield, Middlesex, 1827 - 29 (plaque); Westwood Cottage, Chase Side, 1830-33;Lamb's Cottage (formerly known as Bay Cottage), Church Street, Edmonton, 1833 - 34 (plaque). Charles Lamb is buried in All Saints' Churchyard, Edmonton.

D H Lawrence (1885-1930) D.H. Lawrence lived at 9 Selwood Terrace, Kensington in 1914, but for only 3 weeks. Lived in London, Hamstead: 1 Byron Villas, Vale of Health 1915

T.E. Lawrence (1888-1935) 1921-1922: working with Churchill at the Colonial Office, helps to achieve some degree of Arab self-rule.

George MacDonald (1824-1905) Fulham, The Limes, Upper Clapton., Highbury College, Wedding at Old Gravel Pits Chapel, Hackney, 18 Queen Square, Bloomsbury, Tudor Lodge, Albert Street, Regents Park, 12 Earls Terrace, Kensington MacDonald's death. There is a Blue Plaque to MacDonald on Tudor Lodge, Albert St, Camden, very close to the north end of Regents Park. A second blue plaque is by the "Boy on a Dolphin" fountain in Hyde Park close to Hyde Park Corner. This latter commemorates the friendship of Alexander Munro, George MacDonald and Lewis Carroll with a reproduction of a humorous sketch Carroll drew when Munro was sculpting the fountain, with MacDonald's son as the model.

Harriet Martineau (1802-1876) 1847, lived in London.
John Masefield (1878-1967) lived in Hampstead 1913-16, ashes buried in Poets' Corner, Westminster Abbey.

Christopher Marlowe (1564-1593) In Newgate Prison at one time, Old Bailey stands where the prison used to be. Offically Marlowe died on May 30th.,1593, in "a tavern brawl" at Deptford, London, at the age of 29. This is the "politically correct" version of his death. There is a body of opinion which believes that he did not die in 1593 ; that his death was faked and that he lived on, largely in secret, and was the true author of the Shakespeare canon. Any group wanting to hear a talk explaining this in detail, contact Frieda Barker at marsoct@ntlworld.com The official version of Marlowe's death declares that he was buried in an unmarked grave in St.Nicholas's churchyard at Deptford. There is a plaque with a reference to Marlowe inside St.Nicholas Church at Deptford Commemorated in Canterbury, Cambridge and Deptford. On July 11th, 2002, an engraved panel in the Memorial Window was unveiled in Westminster Abbey, with his name and dates (this is all that the Abbey will now allow).  The  interesting and unusual difference between this memorial and the  others in Poets' Corner lies in the addition of a question-mark before the date  of Marlowe's death. The doubt of the date that he did die was sufficient for the  Abbey to have granted permission for the inclusion of this question-mark!

Harriet Martineau (1802-1876) first met Charlotte Bronte in Westbourne Street, Bayswater, 1849

Edith Nesbit (1858-1924) born 15th August, at 38 Kennington Lane. 1875 Her mother and the family moved to 6 Mount Pleasant, Barnsbury Square, Islington (no longer there).
1879 Edith moved to Blackheath, 16 Dartmouth Row. Married Hubert Bland 1880. 1880-1886 lived at 28 Elswick Road, Lewisham. This is when she was first establishing herself as a writer, the period during which she met Alice Hoatson who she was later to live with as a menage a trois. Lived in Eltham 1899-1922, in March 1886 moved to 5 Cambridge Green for 6 months, thence to 8 Dorville Road (demolished 1970). In 1889 to 2 Birch Grove, also demolished. In 1894 to Three Gables in Baring Road. Also demolished, but backed on to the railway line running between Hither Green and Grove Park. There is a footpath beside the house, (now the Stratfield House flats) which was renamed The Railway Children Walk in 1996. [5 Cambridge Drive]
5 Cambridge Green

E.J. Oxenham (1880-1960) lived at Bedfords Park, Ealing, West London -1922.

George Orwell (Eric Blair) (1903-1950) Two taverns frequented by George Orwell are the Fitzroy Tavern on Charlotte Street and the Wheatsheaf on Rathbone Place.
Though Orwell died in London he was buried in the churchyard of All Saints at Sutton Courteney As a child he had fished in a local stream.

Mervyn Peake (1911-1968) Educated at Eltham College, Kent, 1937 in London. Mervyn Peake lived at 1, Drayton Gardens, Kensington from 1960 to his death in 1968. There is a plaque to commemorate it. He wrote nothing there, as he was very ill with Parkinson's disease.

Samuel Pepys (1633-1703) Born in London. Went to St Paul's School and thence to Cambridge University. Pepys married the 15-year old, dowerless, Elizabeth St Miche, at St Margaret's, Westminster, 1655. Later at King Charles Street, Westminster, Pepys began his Diary here in January 1660, living in a garret with his wife and servant Jane. Tower Hill, lived in a nine-room house in Seething Lane, from where he saw the Great Fire. There is a plaque in Seething Lane. From 1679 he lived at 12 Buckingham Street, moving to no. 14 in 1688, and finally retired to Clapham in 1701 where he died in 1703 (Literary London by Andrew Davies). St.Olave's, Hart Street, EC3 which was Samuel Pepys' Parish Church and where both he and Elizabeth , his wife (died 1669), are buried. There is a modern stained-glass window in the crypt of the Guildhall of Pepys.

John Boynton Priestley (1894-1984) 13th September 1894 was born in Bradford, lived at 3, The Grove, Highgate 1935-39 (Coleridge's old residence)

Anthony Powell (1905-2000) Born 44 Ashley Gardens, Westminster, London, SW1, 21 December 1905, 9 Shepherd Street, Shepherd Market, London, W1 1926-1929, 33 Tavistock Square, London, WC1 1929-1932, 26 Brunswick Square, London, WC1 1932-1935, 47 Great Ormond Street, London, WC1 1935-1936, 1 Chester Gate, London, NW1 1936-1952. The narrator of "A Dance to the Music of Time", Nicholas Jenkins lived in Shepherd Market, in the 1920's.

Barbara Pym (1913-1980) lived in bed-sit at 27 Upper Berkeley Street, Portman Square, W1, October 1038, lived in Pimlico, London 1946-9, Barnes, London SW 13 1949-61, London NW6 1961-72, During World War II she worked for Censorship (as Mildred does in Excellent Women) then served in the Women's Royal Naval Service, in Britain and in 1944, in Naples. From 1946 to 1974 she worked at the International African Institute where she was assistant editor of the anthropological journal Africa.
Her first novel, Some Tame Gazelle, was published in 1950, followed by five more books. In 1963 the new chief editor of her publisher rejected An Unsuitable Attachment, because, as he wrote, "in present conditions we could not sell a sufficient number of copies to cover costs". In 1969 she sent The Sweet Dove Died, written in 1968, to many publishers, with no success. Discouraged, she stopped writing.

John Ruskin (1819-1900) born in Holborn at 54 Hunter Street, 26 Herne Hill 23-42, then 163 Denmark Hill (no longer there)M. in Perth 1848, lived in Abingdon and Corpus Christi College Oxford 1871, memorials in Westminster Abbey, Keswick and Oxford.

William Hale White (Mark Rutherford) (1831-1913) February,1852 living at 40 Downshire Hill, Hampstead, March, 1852 living at 11 Serle Street, Lincoln's Inn, March 25th,1857 moves to 69 Marylebone Road, (corner of Baker Street, now Bickenhall Mansions), 1867 moves to 4 Park Villas, Spring Grove, Isleworth. 1857 March 12: Appointed Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages for St. Marylebone March 15: Preaches for the last time at Ditchling March 25: Moves to 69 Marylebone Road, (corner of Baker Street, now Bickenhall Mansions)

Siegfried Sassoon (1886-1967) Moved in 23 Campden Hill Square after winning the M.C. in the Great War. Stayed until 1933 when he moved to Wiltshire.

Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) came to London 1876, lived at 29 or 39 Fitzroy Square, Bloomsbury 1887-98, m in 1898 1899-27 in wife's flat at No. 10, Adelphi Terrace. Stayed in Westminster, 4 Whitehall Court, between Horseguards and Northumberland Avenue, 28-45, commemorated in Dublin and Ayot St Lawrence

Shelley (1792-1822) lodged in Soho; 15 Poland Street 1811, e. Hampstead 1814. Married first wife, Harriet, (who drowned herself in the Serpentine in 1816) at St. George's, Hanover Square. Lived in Bishopsgate 1815. Commemorated in Christchurch, Dorset and University College, Oxford and Westminster Abbey. His second wife lived at 24 Chester Square and died there in 1851.

Muriel Spark (1918-2006) In 1944, on her return from Rhodesia, she went to London in search of work, taking up residence at the Helena Club, which later became the model for the May of Teck Club, the setting for her 1963 novel, The Girls of Slender Means.

Bram Stoker (1847-1912) 1897 lived in 4 Durham Place, Chelsea or 18 St Leonard's Close? Died in London on April 20th 1912, & was cremated at the Golders Green Crematorium, Hoop Lane, Hampstead, NW11, where the urn with his ashes still exists.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1809-02) lived in Twickenham, Montpelier Road 1851-3 buried in Westminster Abbey. Memorials in Haslemere and near Farringford, I.O.W.

Angela Thirkell (1890-1961) born 30 January 1890 in Kensington. Her father was a Professor of Poetry at Oxford and her mother was the daughter of Sir Edward Burne-Jones the famous Pre-Raphaelite painter and designer in William Morris' Design Company. Sir Edward Burne-Jones and his wife lived in Rottingdean near the house of writer Rudyard Kipling who was Lady Burne-Jones' nephew. Educated St Paul's School, Hammersmith. Returned to England on the break-up of her marriage and lived in Kensington or Chelsea for most of the rest of her life. One of her three favourite houses was The Grange at Fulham. Her final home was 1 Shawfield Street, Chelsea.

Dylan Thomas (1914-53) In 1936 he lived in a basement flat at 54 Delancey Street in London. He lived in Manresa Road,Chelsea during the Second World War.

Edward Thomas (1878-1917) Born in Lambeth. Educated in St Pauls School in City of London lodged in 61 Shelgate Street, Battersea, 1900.

Anthony Trollope (1815-1882) Born at 6 Keppel Street, Bloomsbury, London. At the age of one year, moved to a house called Julians, near Harrow. In 1822 Anthony became a day-boy at Harrow School; in 1825 he was transferred to Arthur Drury's private school at Sunbury. Thence to Winchester School. Finally, in the spring of 1830, he went back to Harrow. Autumn 1834 became a junior clerk in the General Post office, on the east side of St Martin-le-Grand, London. Returned to London at the age of 56 when he moved to 39 Montagu Square, Marylebone, 1871-1880. The house has now been turned into flats. (BLOOMSBURY). Trollope worked full-time for the post office and is credited with the introduction of the postbox. He died at a nursing home at 14 Welbeck Street, November 1882.

Sylvia Nora Townsend Warner 1893-1978 was born on December 6, 1893, the only child of George Townsend Warner, a schoolmaster, and Nora Huddleston Warren. After an unsuccessful term at kindergarten she was educated at home.

Leo Walmsley (1892-1966) Briefly lived in London (in various places around Kensington and Bloomsbury) with 1st wife, Suzanne. Mixed with 'art' set - Barbara Hepworth, John Skeaping, Henry Moore - 1920s.

H.G. Wells (1866-1946) In 1884, gained a free studentship to the Normal School of Science (now Imperial College), Kensington, London, where he was taught biology by T.H.Huxley. and the Normal School of Science in London. He lived at Chiltern Coujrt for some time. From 1909 he lived at 17 Church Row, opposite St John's in Hampstead. Moved to Marylebone 1930-37. Lived at 13 Hanover Terrace from 1937 until his death, Regents Park 13th August, 1946. Once lived at 181 Euston Road. (FITZROVIA)
[12 Mornington Terrace]
12 Mornington Terrace
[7 Mornington
Place]
7 Mornington Place
[12 Fitzroy
Road]
12 Fitzroy Road

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

16 Tite Street
Oscar Wilde's House, 16 Tite Street, Chelsea from 1884
Photograph by Philip V. Allingham. 2002.


The great comic dramatist of fin-de-siecle London lived in this house, in the fashionable Chelsea district from his marriage in 1884 to Constance Lloyd until his disastrous trial in 1895 and subsequent imprisonment in Redding Gaol for homosexual practices. Here, with the exception of The Ballad of Redding Gaol, he wrote his principal works: The Happy Prince and Other Tales (1888), The Picture of Dorian Grey (1891), Lady Windermere's Fan (1892), A Woman of No Importance (1893), An Ideal Husband (1895), and the brilliant and enduring The Importance of Being Earnest (1895). Wilde memorials:
A plaque at the Theatre Royal, Haymarket, unveiled by Sir John Gielgud, to commemorate the centenary of the first night of An Ideal Husband, and the first production of A Woman of No Importance.
A picture presented to and displayed in Kettner's Restaurant, Soho, where Wilde and his friends often dined.
Chelsea Town Hall has Literature picture which includes Oscar Wilde, in the council chamber which can be viewed by request. (CHELSEA) He always had lunch at the Cafe Royal, 13 Albemarle Street.

Charles Williams (1886-1945) was born at 3 Caedmon Road, London, N7. After his marriage he lived at 17 Parkhill Road, London, NW3.

P.G. Wodehouse (1881-1975) educated at Dulwich College, setting for many of his early stories. Worked at HSB in Lombard Street whilst lodging in Markham Square, Chelsea, (now Club Quarters, a first class hotel). Moved briefly to 23 Walpole Street, Chelsea. Blue plaques:London: In 1924 he bought 23 Gilbert Strfeet, off Grosvenor Square but it was too noisy so they did not stay there very long. They stayed at Hunstanton Hall in Norfolk where he could sit in a punt in the middle of the moat with his typewriter. 17 Dunraven Street, Mayfair, (Residence 1927 - 1934). Also for a short time at 23 Gilbert Street, and then at 17 Norfolk, now Dunraven Street, in the 1930's.

Virginia Woolf (1882-1941) born Adeline Virginia Stephen on 25 January 1882 at 22 Hyde Park Gate,Kensington, lived at 29 Adelphi Terrace, Bloomsbury with brother Adrian 1907-11, lived in 46 Gordon Square, Bloomsbury (now owned by Birkbeck College, University of London) or 29(39?)Fitzroy Square where Shaw had once lived, thence to 38 Brunswick Square. After marriage lived in Asheham 1912-17 Moved to Richmond 1914-24, then moved back to Bloomsbury 1924-29. 37 Mecklesburgh Square until bombed in 1940. Leased 52 Tavistock Square for Hogarth Press until 1939. Now occupied by the Tavistock Hotel.(BLOOMSBURY)

Henry Williamson (1895-1977) born 1.12.1895, at 66 Braxfield Rd., Brockley, London. 1900 the family moved to 11 (now 21) Eastern Rd., Brockley. Edu Colfe's Grammar School, Lewisham. Died at Twyford Abbey Nursing Home, London NW on 13 August 1977.

William Wordsworth (1770-1850) 1806-7, visits London, commemorated in Westminster Abbey and Grasmere. Wrote "The Reverie of Poor Susan". The tree mentioned is still there in a churchyard in Wood Street. The church was destroyed in the Great Fire.

Acknowledgement:
Many augmentations have come from "Literary London" by Andrew Davies. ISBN 0-333-45708-0.

 Any addditions please email :
Webmaster, Writersgate Thank you
Top of page